Marriage is not always easy, but it is a commitment made to last a lifetime. The longer you’re married, the more you’ll learn about what it takes to have a happy, successful relationship with your partner.
To that end, today we’re going to look at some advice from couples who have been married for decades. Some of these tips are romantic, some are humorous, but they’re all things to keep in mind through the ups and downs of your relationship.
- “Devote your time to understanding one another.” –John and Ann Betar, married 84 years (!)
- “Be honest, don't put off the inevitable, don't go to bed mad and take the time to get to know one another rather than rushing into marriage.” Kenneth and Shirley Radcliffe, married 52 years
- “Whatever your wife says goes. Just say yes all the time, just be involved.” –Denzel Washington, married to Pauletta Washington for 33 years
- “It’s about having good manners and being polite. You can't treat your partner any worse than you would treat a friend if you’re upset about something.” –Janet Green and Robyn Paluo, married 21 years (featured in 30 Lessons for Loving: Advice from the Wisest Americans on Love, Relationships, and Marriage)
- “Respect, support, and communicate with each other. Be faithful, honest, and true. Love each other with ALL of your heart.” – Zelmyra and Herbert Fisher, married 87 years
- “Take the good with the bad.” – and Mrs. Lombardi, married 72 years
- “If you want to make things work, you have to let things go.” –Charlie and Joyce Walsh, married 55 years
Obviously, some of these pieces of advice are easier said than done. Sometimes arguments can seem impossible to solve.
But you have to remember that your marriage requires constant growth and attention. If you and your spouse are struggling and you would like to work on your relationship together with the help of an experienced Portland marriage coach, contact us today.